If you’ve met me and seen my eating habits (hello major sweet tooth) you might wonder what my workout motivator is. People often ask me how I stay motivated or can drag my butt to the gym at 5:30 in the morning. It’s not to lose weight, or to be skinny, or ‘do it for the gram’. There’s nothing wrong with those, but here’s why I workout:
- It gives me energy – when I don’t go to the gym, I feel super sluggish and demotivated. Especially because I go so early in the morning before work, I feel extra accomplished when it’s 7:30am and I’ve already been up for a few hours at the gym.
- It helps me sleep better – J and I could live and die by our schedule. As I mentioned before, I’m an early riser. This means that going to bed early is a must and with consistent workouts, I find that I sleep soundly through the night, I don’t toss and turn, and I certainly don’t have trouble falling asleep.
- I feel more confident – I think everyone at some point deals with some sort of body confidence issue – whether they feel too fat, too thin, or somewhere in between, so to say I haven’t would be a lie. There have been times in my life where there were aspects of my body that I wanted to change. I’ll say that working out hasn’t really fixed any of that (where are you, six-pack abs?) but it has given me the confidence to accept and love my body how it is. I feel strong because I lift weights. I feel proud that I can run up some stairs when our condo elevator is down and not feel out of breath. I still have things about my body I would love to change but the confidence I get from working out and seeing small changes outweighs all of that.
- It’s addictive and never boring – I need to be busy – I’m not good at sitting still or doing nothing. Working out is a great fix for that – whether it’s a HIIT class, going to the spin studio, or spending time at the condo gym, I love that it gives me something to do and is productive at the same time.
- I workout so I can eat burgers – this is probably my life motto but you can swap out “burgers” for whatever indulgent snack I’m having. I wouldn’t be able to eat the food I like or indulge when I do if I wasn’t working out at the rate I do. I’d feel too guilty. Staying active also allows me to indulge when I feel like it!
What are your motivators for working out and living a healthy lifestyle?